Tuesday 14 May 2013

Questions and Answers - Margot Carp Lake


Paul Cooper, one of our expert Field Testers, recently answered a few queries about Margot, a must read if you're going out to the venue this year!

Hello Paul,
I have just finished reading your article on fishing tactics at Margot 2012.  I’m due to fish Margot soon, I’m in a party that has the lake exclusively, we have pre-drawn for swims, I pull out of the hat Peg 1.
Using the information and tips in your article, I will contact Angling Lines to find out how many anglers will be on the lake the week previous. I was hoping that you could possibly give me any tips on fishing Peg 1?

Map of Margot Carp Lake
Swim Map
On my previous visits to Margot I have not fished peg 1, however I can tell you as much as I can recall about the swim.
Peg 1 is situated on the bank to the left of the facilities which is a corner point swim giving access to an area to your left that is not accessible by anyone else on the lake. You also have the option of fishing directly in front of you to the middle of the lake.

Peg 2 is only yards to your right, however due to the point location, peg 2 has a vast amount of water to fish to the right and also has the option of fishing open water directly in front of the swim. The ground is made up of hard rubble so you will need a rubber mallet to hammer in your tent pegs. There is little shade on the swim so take be prepared for some sun.
From what I can recall the lake depths are around 4 to 5 feet with a thin layer of soft silt on the bottom of the lake, with some graveled areas.To your left is a long peninsular and the gap between the end of the peninsular and the far bank is a good feeding area, but is very shallow. A lot of carp feed and hang around in the shallow bay to the left and you do pick up fish as they return to the main lake.
Carp in the Shallows at Margot Carp Fishing Venue
Fish in the Shallows at Margot
I would select my main feeding area in open water and have 1 rod to the left. There are lots of grassies in the lake to over 40lb which I always try to avoid but still pick them up. To avoid the grass carp I would not use any pellet. Boilies, hemp or party blend should do the trick. Start off light, increasing the amount of bait as you develop your swim. Do not spread your bait to different areas, sticking to your 2 baited areas and you should pick up carp on a regular basis.

Best of luck. I am sorry that I cannot be of more use but as I said, I have not fished this area of the lake.
Paul Cooper

To check out more articles from Margot, including the capture of the 71lb lake record, click here.
Margot Carp Fishing in France

No comments:

Post a Comment